Built in the mid-1800s as a freight train railway, the High Line was deemed dangerous and was destined to be demolished. In 1933 changes were made to the construction which elevated the tracks and was used to transport millions of tons of meat, dairy, and produce. In the mid-'70s, train use dwindled, and some areas were demolished and replaced with warehouses. From 2004 to 2006, the High Line was deemed a public park and landscaping and design projects began. In April 2006, the first section of the High Line as we know it opened to the public from Gansevoort St. to 20th St.